• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbies and vaguely interested people: Feel free to ask questions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

There are no stupid questions, blah blah blah blah.

Anyway, we of the benching team are more then happy to field newbies questions, even the same old newbie questions over and over again! So feel free to post here, don't worry about feeling stupid or worrying about what we might think.
At some point, we were all newbies. Hell one (1) year ago i had no idea there was even such a thing as a competitive benchmark! I thought they were simply for comparing (stock) hardware performance. :screwy:

Now of course i know differently :rock:

I've been talking to a few interested people in PMs, and the question that comes up the most is: Do i have to pay for 3dmark software?
The answer is NO! You don't, the free/trial versions work perfectly well for benchmarking. I still use the trial stuff myself in fact.
When you start really getting into it and posting dozens of scores at once having the full version can be nice, mainly because you don't have to go online to check the 05/06 scores, and you don't have the limited space to store online scores of the trial versions.

Like my sig says, you can get started in this hobby for exactly $0 (excluding electricity...) :D

When you start really getting into it and posting dozens of scores at once having the full version can be nice, mainly because you don't have to go online to check the 05/06 scores, and you don't have the limited space to store online scores of the trial versions.

what do you mean by go online to check scores for 05/06 versions? Ive been curious about how I can get started for free. I mean with the wealth of the interent, other means could be found :chair:, but Id rather not go there for this. I have been interested in the bench team for a bit now, but getting discourged due to uncertainty with assertaining all the bench programs. As you can see, my rigs in my sig could easily add some points to the team, even at stock.

All the benchmarks except for 3dmark05 and 3dmark06 the program you run tells you the score (this includes 3d01 and 3d03). 3d05 and 3d06 you have to check the scores online at Futuremark(the company that makes the 3dmark series)'s web site.

This thread here has all the names of the benchmarks you'll want, a google search for each one will turn up download links.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636401

If you have trouble finding a specific one, i can hunt down the official link for it.

The bot has download links to most of the benches: http://hwbot.org/benchmark.do

Everything is free except for Vantage ($7) I think. Though buying the 3d series has some benefits like selecting tests and saving offline scores for 03/05. But not necessary at all.

Check the rules for a benchmark before you run it. A screenshot with 2 cpuz and gpuz (3d only) is usually all thats needed.

Have fun!

Your posting has spurred me to get moving. Ran wprime 1mb to start, and doing 32mb now. This is all gonna be at stock to get things moving. I really should rebuild my water loop on my 920. I have a heatkiller 3.0 and 2 655s waiting to replace my gtz and 600's

Woot! Stock is a good way to get familiar with the benchmarks really, you don't have to worry about whether it's going to crash before the screenshot finishes saving :D

3d03 is buggy, try reducing your GPU overclock if you have it OC'd, or changing drivers.

For Aquamark, delete direcpll.dll and try to run it. If that doesn't work, there might be another option. It should though.

What kind of trouble is 03 giving you and which version did you download?

Anyway, we of the benching team are more then happy to field newbies questions, even the same old newbie questions over and over again! So feel free to post here, don't worry about feeling stupid or worrying about what we might think.
At some point, we were all newbies. Hell one (1) year ago i had no idea there was even such a thing as a competitive benchmark! I thought they were simply for comparing (stock) hardware performance. :screwy:

Now of course i know differently :rock:

I've been talking to a few interested people in PMs, and the question that comes up the most is: Do i have to pay for 3dmark software?
The answer is NO! You don't, the free/trial versions work perfectly well for benchmarking. I still use the trial stuff myself in fact.

Like my sig says, you can get started in this hobby for exactly $0 (excluding electricity...) :D

What is your favorite run order for 3d01?

For Aquamark, delete direcpll.dll and try to run it.

Or hell compatibility mode? (depends on your OS.. although hmm I never tried 98 mode on XP before...it is a DX8 app right?)

LOL I see so many people downloading "patches" like WTF?

Same thing with futuremark products.. (although kill the hanging DLL in them crashes app... just means you have stripped your OS to far, or are impatient ;))

Little nugget for yah

Last edited:
People DL patches for AM3. You can just delete the direcpl.dll (?) file in the AM3 folder instead since there are no more submissions.

Back